Thursday, September 8, 2011

gardening....

at the beginning of the summer i was planning on putting in a raised bed garden that i've been wanting to have for a few years. BUT instead we ripped out a huge bush that had seen its better days on the right side of our deck and this is where my garden was this summer.

its tricky in our backyard we get 100% sun from noon until about 8pm in the summer- i don't know how anything can survive back there... especially with this summers heat wave. the 1st year we moved in i had planted all over my backyard and about halfway through the summer realized this was a bad decision- it took me hours at night to water everything to make them come back to life.

i planted the following this year in my garden:

tomatoes- big bertha, roma, cherry
banana peppers
jalapeno peppers
corn
basil
cilantro
garlic chives
sunflowers

sage
cosmos
morning glories

i am still harvesting my tomatoes and  banana peppers but everything else has reached its peak. ended up with one sunflower after battling the wild life- one is better than none! my corn has been cut back and drying to use in my fall decorating and i didn't find anytime to make salsa this summer. next year i am planning on putting in a few flowering plants in that space (peonies or hydrangeas) and putting in a raised bed garden- but i have to get my dad to help me first.










2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I want to move to a home with more land, or more space for something like that. It would be so great to just grow things like that and not have to go to a farmers market to get them. OH and I hear ya about sun in the back of the house during the summer. That stuff is SO HOT! Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you back blogging again! Your morning glories are awesome!

    ReplyDelete